Wednesday, May 7, 2014

You may be right...I may be crazy! but...

They --- whoever "they" are --- say the longer you live with someone, the more you become like them. I married a goon, and he seems to be bringing the inner goon out in me as you can see from our Halloween 2013 escapade! And when I relay the path we are now walking on this journey of cancer, some of you are REALLY going to think we've lost our minds. 

But before I go there, I need to tell you a little about my past life. Some of you who know me well know the path I have walked.

In January, 2001, my first husband was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. He had surgery and six months of chemo and then received a diagnosis of "No evidence of disease." Six months later it reappeared in his liver and he fought it for about another year before he died in March 2003. Having watched all that he went through and knowing all that I went through in those two years, I really didn't want to take this path. 

This past Monday we met my oncologist. She was in the same building - Sarah Cannon Cancer Center - in the same offices/waiting rooms/treatment rooms/etc. - that I spent two years of my life in earlier. I hated being in that place. Roger said he had never seen me that down.

Don't get me wrong - the nurses, techs, receptionists, doctors - they were as nice as they could be all through my husband's ordeal. I just didn't like sitting there having all kinds of negative flashbacks. 

If I could have just gone around a room full of people and picked a doctor - not knowing anything about his/her skills - I might have picked my oncologist, Dr. Johanna Bendell. She is young, attractive, personable, and in any other type of meeting - she appears to be someone I could have a good time with. However, I didn't like anything she had to say to me about their plan of treatment for my disturbance.

Her recommendation is the placement of a port and a 24/7 pump that would keep chemo going through me for 6 weeks and radiation treatments during those 6 weeks as well. Then, 6 weeks for my body to recover...surgery (which my surgeon has already told me is going to be "very, very difficult")...and then 4 more months of chemo! I told her I didn't want to do that which pretty much took her by complete surprise. After I explained why I didn't, she suggested that they watch me and monitor my progress and do another scan in 2 months - to which I agreed. 

A dear friend of mine - Kathy Hardin - is fighting breast cancer the natural way and is winning! Hallelujah! She has shared with me two of the best, most uplifting resources someone in my position could ever want. The first is a website by a guy who beat colorectal cancer in 2004 - the site is chrisbeatcancer. The second is a book called "Radical Remission." There are thousands of documented cases of people who have made radical changes in their lifestyle and as a result have won this battle. Roger and I have decided that's the way we want to go - so we (mostly me - ha!) are making those lifestyle changes. 

I am eating 100% raw fruits and vegetables and have been for two weeks. I occasionally eat some Ezekiel Bread to break things up a bit. (Boy, do I every relate to the Israelites asking "manna again?") We have put in a reverse-osmosis water system for drinking and cooking. I have detoxed in a lot of different ways - fasting and massage therapy being the main ones so far. As soon as our new juicer is here, I'll be juicing carrot juice. I am exercising - either disco dancing in the house or jumping on our new trampoline outside! I have totally eliminated coffee - not because it was bad, but because I was drinking so much and I am now more aware of how it may have over-stimulated my nervous system. I have dropped most all of my responsibilities - except teaching Sunday School and singing on our praise team at church - two of the most uplifting things I do. I am taking some herbal supplements. And, I am meditating daily!

I actually feel better than I have in a long time. People are coming up to me and looking at me like "Didn't I hear you had cancer? You look good!" 

I truly believe that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by a loving God. The more I learn about the body as I research this thing - the more I realize just how true that is! I believe that by neglecting my body it has gotten into this mess. I further believe that by working really hard to reverse that it can be turned around.

There are thousands of cases where people have done it! I believe I can be another one!  

And please, those of you who have won this battle and done it through conventional medicine - more power to you! I personally know many of you and I admire you. Know that this decision wasn't made in haste. It was made after a lot of research and with much prayer. Trust me - it isn't easy to look a doctor in the face and say I'm not going to do it your way --- especially when it involves your life!

For those of you who have been praying for me - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  We have felt such a peace through this and ask that you will continue to pray for wisdom and healing. 

In the meantime - I've bought myself two months to enjoy as best I can focusing on me! I'm looking forward to having some fun. Who's game?

"I love you, O Lord, my strength." - Psalm 18:1

4 comments:

  1. I'm supporting your decision Dawn, and continue to pray daily for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...I lost my wife to breast cancer in 2010. The suffering we both went through was horrendous. She had conventional treatment which I believe did her much more harm than good. I grew marijuana for her but could not get her enough in time. We are seeing that marijuana DESTROYS cancer cells, lifts the spirit and increases the appetite. If I get cancer, I am refusing conventional treatment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Dawn! I understand completely. Thanks for sharing!

    God bless you both,
    Mike Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I support your decision 100%. Radical Remission and chrisbeatcancer are two of my favorite things. Although I chose to do conventional treatment in addition to all the things you are doing, in the long run, I believe that it is our body's own immune system that saves us. Eating healthy, exercising, mediation, having fun, journaling, taking supplements are all things that I do daily. When I got cancer, I told my husband I wanted two things. A set of beautiful wind chimes from our local Amish garden center and an Angel juicer. He immediately got both for me. The wind chimes to help bring a calming atmosphere and the juicer for making lots of fresh organic juices EVERY DAY! Check out Annie Appleseed too and the Gersham therapy if you haven't already. That's great your MO is willing to just monitor you. That way you can see how your treatment is working.

    My love to you and Roger both. I have been thinking of you daily and I knew the conventional treatment that you would be facing would be very tough. Particularly with your background caring for your first husband dying from a similar diagnosis, it makes so much sense that you made the decision that you did. I give Roger a lot of credit for being so supportive in your choice. His support will go a long way in helping you to recover.

    I look forward to seeing you at Roger and my 45th high school reunion ....with both of us completely healthy and cancer-free!

    Hugs,
    Kay Harvey Kratunis

    ReplyDelete