Friday, May 23, 2014

Walking by Faith

Faith.

It's something we all live by. Every step we take is taken in faith. 

What makes us different is who or what we put our faith in. When I was younger, I put my faith in my parents and then when I became a little older - and oh so much wiser! - I started putting my faith in myself. Big mistake, because that just comes with all kinds of limitations. 

It's not until something happens to us that is beyond our control that I truly believe we learn to move from self-reliance to God-reliance. 

When Roger and I started dating, we hadn't known each other too long before we had a great discussion about our faith. We had both come through some difficult and trying times and we talked about how we had done that only by and with the grace of God. We both said that we believed we could go through anything because of our faith in Him. 

It was probably at that moment that I started realizing I loved Roger. (Of course, his dazzling wit and good looks had already tantalized me!) But this was the missing piece that sort of sealed the deal for me - finding someone who had a deep faith in the Lord.

People are asking us about how we can have such peace since my cancer diagnosis. We believe it's because of our faith. 

We both know that no matter what happens God is still sovereign. His Word tells me that my days are numbered in His book. He is sovereign over death and life. He is sovereign over every breath I draw. He knows the ending from the beginning. Believing Him as the sovereign Lord of all is THE most liberating feeling in the world. It makes me realize just how little is really dependent on me and what I do.

And when I take my last breath, I am comforted in knowing that I will be with Him forever because I have put my faith in Christ and His righteousness and what He has done that makes me righteous --- not my own righteousness. 

We are like the man who building a house, dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. "When a flood came, the current struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built." - Luke 6:48

Cancer has been that flood for us this year. But our foundation has been built on the rock, and we are unshaken!

For those of you who are wondering how I'm doing, I'm doing great. I am probably in better physical condition then I've been in for a long time. I am still eating my raw fruits and vegetables and starting to learn a little more about how to have some variety in all this. (Did you know that you can make taco "meat" from ground walnuts?) It's been four-and-a-half weeks on this regimen, and it's not easy. I'm still exercising - walking and jumping on my trampoline which is good for the lymph system - and keeping my stress level at an all time low! 

This Sunday, I'm starting a study of Judges in our Sunday School class. It truly is an amazing study of God's mercy and grace as His chosen people live as they see fit without a king and turn their back on God, and time and time again He delivers them! There is such hope for us!

"I love you, O Lord, my strength."

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Dawn... and the background of you and Roger.

    God Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How encouraging, Dawn. Thanks for your witness... Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a beautiful example of walking in faith. Thank you for sharing this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful My wife went through breast cancer and our faith held us through...She did not survive and has been gone for 4 years now, But I find all her uplifting messages jotted in her books and bibles. What carried her through the most was Psalms 91...I buried a copy of that with her. My faith keeps me going and I no longer fear death at all but look towards it with curiosity and wonder...I live the best and most enjoyable life I can in preparation for death. I am ready to go when it's my time...I don't mind it at all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, I am believing our Father's best for you and about you...to cover you and keep you according to HIS good pleasure. Your faith is already working a work in everyone who reads your words and that carries a great blessing for you now and forever. I also am in Nashville for a few days and would love to see you and Roger while I'm here. I talked with R this am...he's busy cutting grass today!! You will remain in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete