Friday, April 18, 2014

Why not me?

On Monday night I was leading a Bible study called "How could God allow suffering and evil?" On Friday, I was told I had a very suspicious, probably malignant tumor. By the following Thursday, that suspicion was confirmed. I had cancer. Really? Me?

That "Thursday" was yesterday (04/17/14) and I have to admit it all still seems surreal. 

Yes - I've wondered why and why me. Surely, that is a normal reaction. Did I not eat right? Did I not exercise enough? Did I expose myself to too many microwave emissions or too many chemicals? Did I ingest too much saccharin? Was it too much coffee and not enough green tea? Was it the sun? Too much charcoal? Red meat? Red dye #2? Not enough fiber?Too much stress, not enough rest? Was I not empathetic enough with my first husband who died from cancer? Why was God letting this happen? (I can't even go there though. Too many dear, dear, godly people have suffered so much worse!)

And so, I've landed on "Why not me?"

God's first covenant was made with Noah - after God destroyed the earth, He promised never to do that again. "I will never again curse the ground on account of man...and I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done." - Genesis 8:21 

When God made that promise, He was also saying - I may be sorry once again that I made man (Gen. 6:6), but I won't wipe you off the face of the earth because of that. And I believe that since that time, man has done a pretty good job of destroying himself - without any need for assistance!

From the beginning, God gave us choice, and none of us have handled that very well - starting with Adam and Eve. Since the fall, this has not been a world that God could look upon and declare good. I truly believe that. I believe He loves me - flawed as I am - and grieves and weeps with me. I also believe that He will work this out for the good. Just like His Word promises.

This morning's Psalm - Number 18 - says "He rescued me, because He delighted in me." I already had that highlighted in my Bible. I am His child - rescued because He delighted in me. He does not delight in pain and suffering or abuse or neglect or poverty or war or cancer! He is the God who girds me with strength and makes my way blameless (through Christ!)

And verse 19 - which offers me hope for whatever lies ahead and hence the title for this blog: "For You have girded me with strength for the battle."

I know this will be a battle, and I know I will have to do things I don't want to do. So for now, I'm asking all my friends to pray for me and for Roger and the rest of my family who love me. On Monday, I will have a consultation that will be about scheduling more tests. This will be the staging phase - to see just how far my cancer has progressed. Please pray that it was discovered early. 

"I love you, O Lord, my strength."
- Psalm 18:1


20 comments:

  1. Dawn, I don't know you, but I do know and love your husband as a fellow Christ follower. I encourage you to hold fast to the promises given in scripture, and I will join with you in prayer as you seek God's wisdom in your treatment.
    Dan Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a long time friend of Roger's...I am Nat Winston and I lost my wife to cancer 4 years ago...The main thing now is for you to work on destroying that tumor...Marijuana can help if, you all want to use it. I grew it for my wife and mother when they had cancer...Unfortunately I could not grow enough...Hang in there and you and Roger contact me if you need any help and encouragement. I love the picture of you at Karlen's farm! I bred my Pyrenees girl, Lilly to her Male, T.J. last month...the puppies are due next month and you and Roger can have one for FREE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, few are those you meet who leave you closer to the Lord than when they found you. You are one of those people. Your life touches the hearts of many with the presence of Jesus. It will be an honor to lift your name and your healing up to our Father because I know it is for His name...for His glory...and for his purpose that you live. I love the passage you gave about how God delights in us. As your brother in the Lord...and your friend on this earth...I can see how God has allowed me and so many others to delight in you, His daughter. You are loved and will be prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love you! Thanks for all your prayers.

      Delete
  4. You are such a blessing dawn xo prayers coming from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, I am a good friend of Ginger & Billy's, and consider Roger a friend as well. I met you briefly at their birthday party. I will pray for you & Roger, as well your family. Roger showed me much kindness & guidance counseling me free of charge during a ruff time. I am very grateful. I lost my Mom to cancer on my birthday in 2012. I will pray that this has been found early & guide the doctors to the best treatment possible for a complete cure! I name it & claim it in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. God's Blessing of Healing be upon you. Sincerely, Lisa Chandler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn!
    I'm so saddened to hear this but so reminded of truth as I read your words. Praying the cancer was detected early and for strength for you and Roger!
    Blessings to you-
    Maeven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn & Roger,
    Sandra and I will be praying for you during this journey.
    May God Bless you both!
    Mike Arnold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That stuns me. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis but excited to know that your strength is fortified by God. You will be in my prayers!

      Delete
  8. Dawn, please know that we are all praying for successful treatment and complete healing for you! God WILL get you through this!!

    Mary Evelyn Thigpen (Patricia Ann's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Dawn, I was saddened by the news of your diagnosis and at the same time inspired by your words and the verses you shared from the Bible. You and your family will be in my prayers. In difficult times, I read the 23rd Psalm. My mother always taught me not to be fearful but to put my trust in God. He will take care of you! With love, Crystal Mallery

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Dawn,
    Just read your blog. It was an encouragement. I am putting you on my prayerlist right now. Love, prayers and admiration, Donna Nelson

    ReplyDelete