Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Why raw food?

It's day 71 on this all raw diet, and I am starting to feel more 
energetic. I think my body has been in detox mode which has made me a little sluggish. 

I've had lots of friends ask me about what I'm doing and why is it so important to eat raw. Once food is heated above 108 to 115 degrees (there's some disagreement as to exactly where the heating point is) it starts losing enzymes, then nutrients, then minerals, etc. the more and more it's cooked. That's not to say that roasted broccoli is bad for you - just that raw broccoli is better. 

Cooking destroys enzymes, lessens the nutritional value (some say by as much as 80%!) and raises the acidity of the food. Cancer thrives in an acidic environment, so I am alkalinizing (if that's a word) my insides so it's not welcoming to cancer cells. 

The naturopath set my goal at 100% raw, and that's what I have pretty much stuck to. I did cheat two or three times and have a slice of Ezekiel Bread again, because the naturopath also told me not to stress out over meeting all my goals! So I'm not!

Roger and I took a field trip to Whole Foods yesterday and I actually found an all raw (meaning it's not been cooked above 118 degrees) organic chocolate bar! Yes - it was about half the size of a regular candy bar and cost $8.00 - but it was worth it! (On second thought, maybe that's why I'm feeling a little peppier!)

I have enjoyed watching and listening to some of you who are inspired to make some lifestyle changes because of what I'm sharing --- especially my sweet friend who shall remain nameless who is trying to give up her morning McDonald's sausage and biscuit! Some of you have told me you've gotten your juicers back out or you're eating at least one raw meal a day. Yay! My niece is visiting juice bars across the city and ordering Alabama zingers! Even Roger is eating a salad or two with me. 

I truly believe it is making a difference in me in a very positive way. For one thing, my skin pigmentation is a little oranger which means I can stay outside and get more natural Vitamin D. (If you don't believe me, just let me turn my palm up and compare it to yours.) I do have more energy. I stay full and I'm rarely hungry. My teeth are whiter (probably from not drinking any coffee.) And my silver hair appears to be getting darker. (Note: This is an anti-aging diet.) Roger is still waiting for the mental clarity which is supposed to be another side effect...bless his heart.

I watched an interview on youtube yesterday with Jack Lalane, the fitness guru who invented jumping jacks and lived to be 97. At the time of the interview, he was 95 and had just written a book on the importance of nutrition and exercise. His philosophy is "If man made it, don't eat it." 

To which Roger replied, "if woman made it, it's okay! Where's the fudge cake?"


My niece's 10-year-old daughter Kaitlin created the above artwork. She asked her parents for a canvas and then planned and painted this just for me. I've chosen to hang it in our kitchen for inspiration. While I love the front (pictured above), I love what she wrote on the back the most. In case the photo doesn't show up well, it says:

To: The person named
Dawn who will overcome
CANCER!

From: Kaitlin

Go Girl!

What a great motivation. You rock Kaitlin. Thanks.

"I love you O Lord, my strength."





No comments:

Post a Comment